Hola amigos, and welcome to my latest blog post, covering the month we just spent in Bolivia. It was another epic journey; one which proved to be both the hardest and most rewarding month of our trip so far, propelling it both figuratively and literally to new heights. And it was also notable for that most minor of events – my 30th birthday!

Route overview
Part 1: The lagunas route
Part 2: Uyuni and the Salars
Part 3: To La Paz
Part 4: La Paz excursions: Huayna Potosi and El Choro
Part 5: La Paz to Lake Titicaca

Route overview

Entering Bolivia via its southwestern border with Chile, we first cycled through the Eduardo Avaroa Reserve, following the spectacular ‘Lagunas’ route, before zigzagging our way towards the great salt plains of Uyuni and Coipasa. After a few days crossing the salt we turned northeast via better roads to the cities of Oruro and La Paz; in the latter leaving the bikes for a few days to climb a 6,000 meter mountain and trek down to the tropical lowlands. Back on the saddle, we continued northwards to the great Lake Titicaca, the largest body of water on the continent, and finally crossed into Peru just after the town of Copacabana, 1,250 km from the Chilean border and just over 5,000 km from the other Copacabana, where our journey had begun more than three and a half months earlier.

Bolivia route

Our 1,250 km route through Bolivia – just as notable for how much of the country we didn’t manage to cover as how much we did!

Bolivia route macro

Another small dent in this huge continent!

Part 1: The lagunas route

Our Bolivian odyssey began in the unlikely comfort of an early morning tour group minibus, for which we had paid the bargain price of £10 to whisk us back up the 2,000 metre (vertical terms) hill that we had so joyfully descended the week before in about 30 minutes, but which would have taken at least a day of hard pedaling to slog back up. After completing immigration formalities at what must be one of the most remote border posts in the world, we immediately started to follow the ‘Lagunas’ route, named after the kaleidoscope of volcanic lakes that dot the landscape between the Chilean border and the Uyuni salt plain to the north. There are actually a number of different ‘Lagunas’ routes, owing to the fact that there isn’t really a road at all, just a lot of jeep tracks which split off in various directions, depending on the destinations of the tourist-filled 4x4s that make up 99% of the traffic along the way. (For anyone who might be interested, we decided to follow the so-called ´classic´ route as far as Laguna Hedionda, before turning off to Alota and the paved road to Uyuni, following the well-known route notes).


A welcome surprise as breakfast appears from the boot of the minibus!


Hello Bolivia!


We were joined in the immigration queue by tourists from around a dozen tour jeeps . We’d been warned that there would be hundreds of these jeeps and that they would plague our journey by driving too fast, forcing us off the road, beeping their horns and generally kicking up lots of dust in our faces. However, this was probably the most we saw in one place on the whole Lagunas route.

We almost immediately hit the first two lagunas – ´Blanca´ and ´Verde´, situated at the foot of the majestic Lincancabur volcano (5,868m) and, unsurprisingly, named after the hue of their waters. Both lakes take on their vibrant colours due to their mineral content, in particular borax (Blanca) and arsenic (Verde). So definitely no drinking then.


The ‘road’ to Lagunas Blanca and Verde


Overlooking Laguna Verde


Crossing between the two lagunas. The path wasn’t so obvious!

After fording a river between the two lagunas, we spent the rest of the day cycling on the surprisingly good surface towards Polques, the tiny settlement at the next laguna, ´Chalviri´. Polques is best known for its wonderful hot springs, and we couldn’t resist spending a couple of hours in the water, mindful that it might be our last opportunity to have a soak for a while!


The beautiful route to Polques


The road was in surprisingly good shape – though this wouldn’t last for long!


We reached the hot springs at Polques in the early afternoon, and couldn’t resist a long soak with a couple of bottles of Bolivian ‘El Inca’ beer


Stretching my legs – hot springs style


Eventually we had to get out – the evening temperatures fall well below freezing at this time of year

Despite having our tent we were keen to avoid the sub-zero temperatures outside at night, so we asked in one of the two refugios (basic guesthouses catering to tour groups) for bed and board. And we were in luck – not only did we bag a private room for around £3 each, we both got a free three course meal in return for doing the washing up!


The next morning we decided it would be remiss of us not to soak in the hot springs one more time, and we dragged ourselves out of bed before dawn to enjoy the magical sunrise in style…


…then, shortly after even more reluctantly dragging ourselves out and into the freezing morning, about a dozen jeeps turned up, and suddenly the pool we had moments ago had all to ourselves was filled with backpackers splashing around. Good timing!

After a thoroughly enjoyable and remarkably easy first day of cycling in Bolivia, things went a bit downhill – or rather uphill – on day two, which turned out to be one of the toughest of our whole trip. We began with a long, steep climb to the highest point either of us had ever been on a bike – around 4,970m at the ´Sol de Manana´ pass. During the ascent we bumped into a couple of English cyclists – the only ones we would encounter until after Uyuni – who gave us the dreaded news that the surface was “pretty good for the next 10km, then terrible for the whole of the rest of the route”. And they were (pretty much) right. After the pass, the road we had been following split off into dozens of different sandy and bumpy jeep tracks, all heading in different directions, which made navigation quite tough. The next 20km took us about 4 hours, and let’s just say they were responsible for a lot of tears and saddle sores!


Cycling alongside the beautiful Laguna Chalviri. Things were about to get a lot harder.


The road was long, hard and tear-inducing…


…It clearly wasn’t designed for cyclists!


Finally beginning the steep downhill to Laguna Colorada

With evening setting in we were grateful for a steep descent to the next lake, Laguna Colorada, and with only 7km to go and about two hours until dark, things were looking good. That was, until the road turned into a giant sandpit. After taking about an hour to push our bikes the first 2km through the sediment, more tears ensued, and we were beginning to get quite worried. But just in the nick of time the sand receded a little and we managed to cycle on to the next settlement of Huayajara and the warmth of another refugio just as the sun was disappearing behind the mountains.

After some soul searching about our motivation to continue with this route, we decided to take an almost-rest day the next day and cycle just the 12 km around laguna Colorada to the next set of refugios on the other side. The route continued to be ridiculously bumpy and sandy, but after arriving shortly after midday we were able to take the afternoon off to enjoy this incredible lake, resplendent with its colonies (technically, ´stands´) of pink flamingos wading in the deep-red water.


The sandy, bumpy track alongside Laguna Colorada


We had to stop to get a closer look…


…And found ourselves in the company of dozens of Andean flamingos!


View across the blood-red water of Laguna Colorada


On the edge of a mini-salt plain! More of these to come…


We hiked to the mirador above the lake, but the door was locked, as we were the only tourists for miles around.


Looking back towards the refugio at Laguna Colorada

For the next couple of days the route left the lakes behind and climbed up and over the Salvador Dali desert, correctly described by Wikipedia as an ‘extremely barren valley’, and so named due to the spectacular rock formations that look uncannily like Dali paintings. This was another very hard and utterly isolated stretch, and we were both glad and really quite exhausted when we successfully reached the final group of lagunas, Santa Cruz, Honda, Chiar Khota and Hedionda at lunchtime on day 5.


Exhausted after a long and sandy climb!


Charlie surveying the surreal rock formations that lend this desert its name


Including the mighty arbol de piedra, fashioned by centuries of winds and balancing quite precariously beneath the midday sun


After the rocks ended, we were surrounded by miles of sandy desert


Until we reached the magnificently isolated Hotel del Desierto. This eco hotel, which as the name suggests is in the middle of nowhere, charges guests upwards of $100 per night, but has been widely cited in blogs as allowing cyclists to sleep somewhere (ranging from an unbuilt annexe to the generator room) for free. However, after exhausting every possible way we could think of of asking the receptionist if there was a ‘place’ we could sleep, we gave in and took what was our only option, a $50 room in the adjacent building, which was for the Bolivian drivers and guides. But on the bright side, we were allowed into the buffet breakfast the next morning!


Unfortunately we forgot to bring the bucket and spade


Descending on one of the hundreds of jeep tracks towards the final set of lagunas


Laguna Honda. Or was it Chiar Khota?


Flamingos on Laguna Hedionda under an ominous sky. The GoPro might not be the best camera to capture these on!


Thankfully there’s always Charlies brand new cameraphone.




We stayed at the sprawling and unimaginatively named Los Flamencos hotel…


…just as about 20 tour groups were having their lunch. Being the scavenger that she is, Charlie managed to sweet talk one of the guides into giving us some leftovers from one of the groups’ lunches, meaning we ate for free for the second time in five days!

The next morning we left the ´classic´ route, climbing out of the valley towards the main road to Uyuni. The views from the top were stunning, and after descending through a spectacular rocky canyon, we reached the road by late morning. The surface was much better, and aided by a big tailwind we made the next 30km in about an hour to reach Alota, our long-awaited first Bolivian village and home for the night, with time to spare to wander around in the afternoon sun. And a good job too, as it turned out to be Bolivian independence day, and there was a big fiesta going on in the village Plaza!




We reluctantly left the beautiful Laguna Hedionda


And began a long ascent out of the valley


On a seemingly never-ending track


Too tired to pedal!


Charlie celebrates us finally reaching the  ‘international highway’ to Uyuni!


The 6 beers we bought out of a wheelbarrow from a man on the square were most welcome, and also helped us to tolerate the tone deaf brass band which was playing the same tune over and over again to mark the occasion. This was also the first time we tried ‘salchipapas’, a street food usually sold out of a green structure resembling a burger van, that consists of a few very oily chips with a sliced up frankfurter on top, covered in tomato ketchup and mayonnaise, and eaten with a cocktail stick. This crime against food turned out to be on sale, and very popular, all over Bolivia.


The rest of town was deserted during the fiesta, but we still snuck off to take a look around. Here is one of the scores of beautiful colonial churches we encountered in almost every Bolivian village we passed through


Part 2: Uyuni and the Salars

The following morning we headed at full speed to Uyuni, the jumping off point for the world-famous salt plain, the Salar de Uyuni. We made the relatively dull journey via a series of small mining villages in about a day and a half, arriving in time to enjoy this beautiful colonial town, with its picturesque tree-lined plazas and its abundance of cafes, pizza restaurants and all the other amenities that come with large numbers of western tourists.


The pretty, but unfortunately named, Plaza Arce in Uyini

Looking forward to a proper rest day after a solid eight days of cycling, we had a beer and devised our night out on the town, hopping between happy hours and visiting establishments such as the “extreme fun pub”. Unfortunately, the partying gods were against us, as with most tours to the Salar beginning very early in the morning, the town was completely dead by around 8pm, and our big night out would have to wait until a later date.

A day of admin then loomed, including doing some long-overdue laundry, me cleaning our stove, which had started to make us look like coal miners every time we’d finished with it, and, most important of all, getting my hair cut and my three month-old beard shaved off! For the latter task I found a slightly crazy Bolivian barber who spent most of the time demonstrating his technique for dancing with more than one girl at a time in the local clubs, scissors /razor still in hands. He allegedly had five girlfriends and made it clear that he didn’t approve of my monogamy. An hour later, grateful to be alive, I returned to our hotel to have Charlie take the ‘after’ photo of my before-and-after photoshoot.




And after!

There was still enough time to enjoy Uyuni’s famous train cemetery – literally a resting place for abandoned trains that once operated on the British-constructed mining railway lines to the Chilean pacific ports. Amazingly, the skeletons of these trains are still standing after more than 70 years, and I couldn’t help myself but test whether I’d remembered anything from the course I’d done at the Mile End climbing wall last year (very little, it turned out)


Uyuni´s surreal train cemetery




Who’s that climbing on the exhibits?

The following morning was finally the day we would be crossing the Salar de Uyuni – or so I thought. But it turned out Charlie had other plans, and I woke up to the dulcit tones of ‘happy birthday’, and the sight of a hollowed-out apple with a candle stuck through the middle. ‘This can’t be right’, I thought, ‘my birthday isn’t for three days’. But it turns out Charlie had thought ahead and correctly identified that we would be in the middle of nowhere in three days, and with little space in our panniers, a physical gift wasn’t the best idea. So instead she copied me – with some improvements to be fair (read my Argentina blog, Salta section) – and a little bookmark enclosed in my birthday card revealed we would be spending the night just 20km up the road, in the ‘hotel de sal de la luna’ – a luxury hotel on the edge of the salar. And if that wasn’t enough, my lucky buddies Tony, Carol and Gabe would be enjoying our virtual company via a Skype call that afternoon!

All went very swimmingly (including, literally, our visit to the hotel’s jacuzzi) and after downing a bottle of wine and indulging at the buffet dinner, we managed a couple of games of ping pong before passing out in bed. Nice.


Happy birthday to me!


I think Charlie was enjoying herself too!

The next morning we did finally, hangovers and all, begin crossing the Salar, something we had both been looking forward to since we first decided to cycle in South America. On the first day we made it to Incahuasi island, one of the many ‘islands’ that are actually peaks of ancient volcanoes dating from the time when this was a lake rather than a salt flat. The ride was utterly magical, with a great surface and miles upon miles of white salt all to ourselves, as the hoardes of jeeps we had again come to anticipate, after reading some of those more cynical cycling blogs, again failed to materialise.


Flags at one of the other Salt Hotels – this one was actually on the Salt Plain. But of course the one we stayed at was better!


Staring into bright white nothingness.


Charlie doing a spot of sunbathing


We couldn’t resist taking some silly photos…


Tiny Tom!


Walking the tightrope…


Charlie practicing her ballet skills


OK, enough already!

We were the island´s only foreign residents that night, having bagged a rather basic room with two mattresses at the back of the island’s restaurant. After cooking up our staple meal of tuna pasta on our newly-clean stove, we went outside for one of the most magical experiences of the trip (possibly my life): a stroll across the salt plain in the starry – and surprisingly mild – night, with moonlight shadows projecting from under our feet, and literally no one there but us.


View of the salt plain from Isla Incahuasi. The jeeps at the foot of the island all departed before sunset, leaving us as the only overnighters.


There they go!


Our room for the night on Isla Incahuasi

Another day of spectacular salt plain cycling followed as we made our way towards Llica, the main village on the isthmus between the Salar de Uyuni and its lesser known (but still huge) cousin, the Salar de Coipasa. In about 4 hours of riding on the salt that morning we were passed by a whole two jeeps. In Llica we witnessed our second Bolivian fiesta (it turns out the Bolivians like any excuse to have a party) with yet another tuneless brass band marching around the streets. After eating a couple of sandwiches, an almuerzo (a set three-course lunch), an ice cream, a toffee apple, a bizarre concoction of coffee, sugar, syrup, whipped cream and chocolate sauce at one of the stalls that was called a ‘capuccino’ (my Italian friends would definitely not approve), some chocolate, a plate of barbecued chicken with rice and chips, and another plate of barbecued beef, I decided that I’d probably eaten enough and we went to bed.


After Isla Incahuasi, the salt plain managed to get even quieter


Following the ‘track’ to Llica in complete isolation


Still a long way to go!

The next day began with some horrible roads but also a godsend – we very unexpectedly bumped into a Swiss cyclist coming from the other direction who gave us some invaluable route advice – and it took us a long time, partly due to my dodgy navigation, to reach the Salar de Coipasa at a point where it was hard enough to actually cycle on. From there on the ride was perhaps even more magical than our crossing of the Salar de Uyuni, with the softer salt glistening in the afternoon sun, not a cloud in the sky, and not a tourist or jeep in sight.


Getting some invaluable route notes on the way to Coipasa


The magnificent Salar de Coipasa. Spot the difference with Uyuni!


Riding towards Coipasa ‘island’.

After our last long stretch on the salt, we reached Coipasa, a small village on an island in the salt plain that we had been informed would have accommodation. Which it didn’t. But after chatting with some ladies sitting out on the plaza, one thing led to another and we were offered a room for the night in one of their homes. After asking the obvious question, ‘donde esta el baño?’ we discovered that this was the first village on our trip that had no sewerage system, and the reply was effectively that we should head towards the nearby hill and do our business there!


With the paved highway only around 40km away, we ambitiously decided the following morning to try to ascent the huge volcano in the middle of the island that morning. We failed, of course, but we did get about half way up and managed to enjoy some pretty incredible views over the salar

After an uneventful last few kilometres on the salar and a rather bumpy road on the other side,last 40km, we arrived at the small town of Sabaya fairly late, and treated ourselves to a dinner of fried chicken, rice, chips, pasta and bread (the Bolivians do love to carb load). Riding on the salars had been an incredible experience, and one that would live long in the memory. But ahead of us lay a new chapter: La Paz!


Baby llamas on the road to Sabaya. So cute!


Part 3: To La Paz

With our backsides reeling from cycling off-road for two weeks we decided to hit the asphalt all the way to La Paz, via the mining city of Oruro.

It took us two days to reach Oruro, with an overnight stop in the tiny village of Copacabanita, notable only for the fact that we had to stay in the village primary school, having once again been misled about the existence of an alojamiento. Oh, and the fact that I had to scale the walls and break into the school building – getting me in quite some trouble with the caretaker and headmistress (who due to an oversight weren’t aware of our plans) – after we made the mistake of both leaving to go to the village shop, returning to find the entrance had been locked with all our stuff inside! Thankfully some sweet talking (by Charlie, of course) ensured we were allowed to stay the night, as long as we were out by 7am before the kids arrived.


Back to school – better hide the cognac from the headmistress!


The only other notable event on this cycle was trying our first glass of api in the village of Toledo. This warm drink, made of maize, cinnamon, sugar and water is essentially heaven in a glass, and goes perfectly with some freshly fried sweet dough, aka ‘bunuelos’ (see picture). Someone needs to bring this to the UK!

Oruro was quite a culture shock, as we hadn’t been to a city this big since Salta, almost a month before. But it was unexpectedly both very pretty and a lot of fun, with a bustling market, street food a plenty and a budget version of Christ the Redeemer overlooking the city, which we obviously had to climb up to.


View over Oruro


From its very own version of the Christ – actually, it´s the Virgin Mary. This is apparently the world´s second largest statue of Mary


We accidentally got in the way of the camera for this shot


Back at street level, enjoying a light snack of jelly and yogurt!

That night, rueing our inability so far to have a good night out in Bolivia, we went to one of the few late-night bars in town, all of which seem to have a strong karaoke focus. After a couple of drinks I obviously had to oblige, giving my best rendition of Wham’s Last Christmas to an obviously bemused local crowd in the middle of August (in fairness, that is Winter in the southern hemisphere).


Caught on candid camera

We made the rest of the journey to La Paz in two days. Two very long days. Pushing very hard on the first day to make the 130km to the crossroads town of Patacamaya I managed to make myself quite ill, and the next day to La Paz was generally pretty horrible. A perfect storm of a big headwind, a bigger stomach ache, lots of climbing, a couple of punctures and miles of city suburbs to navigate at the end meant we almost didn’t make it, but as usual we somehow managed just as it was getting dark.


Our first view of La Paz, spectacularly located around half a kilometer vertically below El Alto in a huge valley.

La Paz is pretty much my idea of a perfect city. The whole place is essentially one huge street market, with all kinds of street food, including for the first time an abundance of fish (from nearby lake Titicaca), tons of fresh fruit and vegetables, great ice cream, oh and those awful salchipapas on every street corner. Eating way too much of all of the above when I was already feeling tender meant I spent most of the next two days in our guest house´s bathroom, but on my return to health we took our bikes to get fixed up at the well-known mountain bike outfit Gravity, before taking a few rides around the city’s newly-built cable car system, which, so I found out, make La Paz the largest city in the world to have aerial transport as its primary form of mass transit.


Our first lunch in La Paz – deep fried kingfish and ipsi with corn. Delicious!


Me sampling another crime against food – the pique macho. It´s basically the contents of a doner kebab chopped up and served in an enormous portion. I am going to presume this was what made me ill!


Incredible view over La Paz from the cable car


Exhibit at La Paz’s museum of Bolivian musical instruments. Not sure how you play this one!

Oh yes, and we booked our climb to Huayna Potosi for the next day!


Part 4: La Paz excursions: Huayna Potosi and El Choro

4a. Huayna Potosi

Something that was on my bucket list for this trip was to climb a 6,000m peak, and after Googling something to the effect of ‘easiest 6,000m peak in South America’, it turned out one place immediately stood out: Huayna Potosi, a few kilometres north of La Paz. With quite a few agencies in La Paz were offering three-day guided climbs for around £100 each, the admin was easy and before we knew it we were in a minibus with five other backpackers making the spectacular drive to the 4,700 metre base camp.


On the road to Huayna Potosi base camp…


…Which was quite picturesque, to say the least! That’s Huayna Potosi on the right, in case you were wondering.

The first of our three days was spent at the nearby glacier learning how to use crampons and an ice axe, culminating in climbing a vertical wall of ice. Having never used any of this stuff before, I was pretty useless and getting a bit worried for my chances at the ascent!


Careful with that thing!


This shot manages to make it look like I knew what I was doing.

After a short climb on the second day to our ‘high camp’ at 5,300 metres, we went to bed at 6:30, and I managed to sleep for exactly zero minutes before getting up at half past midnight to begin the climb. Two of our group were suffering with the altitude and weren´t able to attempt the climb, but the rest of us did. What followed was a solid 5 hours of very steep climbing on the ice and snow. It was a surreal and unforgettable experience seeing the lights of La Paz in total darkness in the distance whilst simultaneously trying to avoid the many seemingly bottomless crevasses appearing beneath the light of my headtorch. To cut a long and very tiring story short, we all made it to the summit just as the sun was rising, in time to take some magical photos of the Cordillera mountain range extending below us as far as the eye could see.


Beginning the trek to high camp along a giant water pipe


The path wasn’t always obvious. Lucky we had guides!


Looking back over base camp



Huanya Potosi high camp. We ‘slept’ in one of these bizarrely futuristic red pods


After four and a half long hours of climbing, we made it to the summit just in time to witness this spectacular sunrise


Magical view over the Cordillera Real mountain range


At this time, the light was changing every few minutes.


I took a lot of photos. But can you blame me?!


The view towards lake Titicaca


We did it!

And after a whole 10 minutes on the summit, our guides were clearly keen to descend and get this over with, and we began the very long trudge down to base camp, for our early afternoon lift back to La Paz!


Charlie descending Huayna Potosi, looking very smug about her achievement!


We were tired, but the views on the descent made it all worth it


4.b. El Choro trek

After climbing to over 6,000 metres, next up was a trek to below 2,000 metres, on the (relatively) famous ‘El Choro’ route. We’d planned to do it the day after the climb, but our leg muscles vehemently protested, so after another rest day we boarded a minibus with our camping stuff, a few clothes and an industrial quantity of bread, back up to around 4,700 metres, to the top of the spectacular valley through which we would be steeply descending for the next three days.


Lake en route to the pass at the beginning of the El Choro trek


Me attempting to survey the scene from the top of the pass


This is what I was looking at!

Despite being the best known (and most advertised) trek around La Paz, and possibly in the whole of Bolivia, we were the first people to sign the visitors’ book in three days, and we had the path almost entirely to ourselves, with just a few small hamlets along the way and one small group sharing our campsite on the second day reminding us that we weren’t the only people alive on the planet.


Beginning the long descent to Coroico, three days away


The mist was ominous, but it gave the first day an unforgettable atmosphere


Still a long way to descend!


Our beautiful campsite on day 1


Our even more beautiful campsite on day 2


Part 5: La Paz to Lake Titicaca

Back in La Paz we did our remaining admin (including extending our visas which were about to expire), and went to pick up our bikes. I’m going to have a bit of a rant here: after leaving our bikes with Gravity for 9 days, we turned up to find neither of them yet had a chain, one had no cassette and they clearly hadn’t been serviced. And we were told that the mechanic wouldn’t be in for another few hours. After we protested, they agreed to do the remaining things we were paying them for (basically all of it) in the next hour, and they did. Or so we thought. Rushing to get out of La Paz, as it was already getting late, we loaded our bikes in a cab to take us the long way back up to El Alto and started cycling. And I soon abruptly stopped on a very main road after changing gear, as it turned out my bike had been fitted with a chain that was way too short and it had completely jammed. This would not be the only time this happened, and with the chain being damaged a couple of weeks later in Peru, I would have to fork out for another new one in Cusco.


My bike with its old chain outside Gravity, before their bodge job. Not going there again!

Right, rant over. The rest of the day´s riding was pretty boring, and we stopped for the evening in Huarani, the turnoff to lake Titicaca, where we met two cycle tourists coming in the other direction. After exchanging route notes and enjoying another dinner of fried chicken, we awoke to begin what turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day´s cycling to Copacabana, our final Bolivian town, riding up and along the crest of the hills that run alongside the edge of the lake.


View from the road to Copacabana, overlooking Lake Titicaca


I couldn’t keep my finger far from the shutter button during the ride to Copacabana


We had to take a boat over the lake half way through – as did this bus. Presumably at some point they’ll build a bridge!


Our first glimpse of Peru in the distance


This shot could have been taken on the Mediterranean coast


View of the descent to Copacabana


The bay is a sight for sore eyes

Copacabana was a very pretty, sleepy town where we could have spent a number of days enjoying its cheap menu del dias (menus of the day) and laid back beach. But mindful of our need to press on to beat the rains we made our stop short. On our one rest day we took a boat out with a load of other gringos to the beautiful Isla del Sol to do one final hike along an old Inca road. Once again we were treated to some wonderful views, as well as some fairly nondescript Inca ruins and, more importantly, a mighty fine glass of lemonade when we reached the other end of the island.


The Inca road traversing the Isla del Sol was wonderfully preserved


Overlooking a bay on the Isla del Sol. If only we’d had more time, we might have gone down there…


…Instead we admired the view from one of the cafes on the ridge!

We began our final day in Bolivia in style, having our final api and buñuelo in the local market, before beginning the cycle to Puno on the Peruvian coast of the lake. And after 10km we reached the border and said a reluctant farewell to this wonderful country.

In just 33 days we had been withess to the most amazing natural beauty, some mighty fun cities, a fascinating and vibrant culture, and the most spectacular weather (aside from a brief lightning storm during the El Choro trek, we hadn´t had a single drop of rain). And there was still so much we hadn´t been able to see. With any luck it will be hasta la proxima, rather than adios, Bolivia!


Arriving at the Peruvian border, ready to start a whole new adventure! Hopefully this won’t be our last visit to Bolivia.


One thought on “Bolivia

  1. I’m glad I have got a chance to catch yon your adventures and to see that you. Are both enjoying yourselves. It seems incredible and the pics don’t do it justice I am sure but please keep them coming as I love seeing them.
    Keep safe you two.
    Love bear xxx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s